Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Clearing up confusion

It has been brought to my attention that there are some nay-sayers out there. And I shouldn't feel compelled to explain or defend myself, but I do for some unknown reason.

The following are screen shots from the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon results page from 2004. As you can clearly see, I finished the race. Now, I may have been dead last, but I got the same t-shirt and medal as everyone else AND I learned a lot in case I ever wanted to do a half marathon again.

And I have wanted to, because there are two types of people who do half-marathons: 1) the ones who get addicted to it and want to do races all the time and 2) the ones who did it once so that they can say that they did it. There's nothing wrong with being either kind. I got up at 4:30 in the morning and walked 13.1 miles while you slept in your bed. I got up every Saturday and did my training walks with my team while you lounged around the house in your PJs. I'm not saying those things are bad, I'm just saying that completing a half-marathon is a major accomplishment, and it's complete and total bullshit for people to either accuse you of lying about doing one or to say you can't do it again. If you have two legs and a little determination, you can do it. And I WILL do it, because the best motivation for me is someone telling me that I can't do something.

So, not that I have anything to prove to anyone. Especially people who are always bitching about something or people who are sitting with their asses in front of the computer while I'm out walking, but I just wanted to show everyone the results page from that race. Actually, it was one of the proudest moments of my life, so why wouldn't I want to share it with people. I can't wait for the next one, although some people might not want to see my finish line photo this time :)

This is the top of the page, just to prove I am not just copying and pasting random words:

Photobucket

This shot shows my results. Yeah, that's me. Dead last. But I did it. And I will do it again.

Photobucket

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home