Does anybody read these?

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Let them eat cake!

I don't know if I've ever mentioned that I'm slightly obsessed with Marie Antionette (and I get it from my mother). Anyhow, my trip to Versailles when I was in high school was pretty amazing.

But, that's not what cake I'm talking about.

Last night, I finally broke down and took a cake-decorating course. I've been making yummy cakes and cupcakes for ages, but I'm not known for pretty desserts. I'm known for delicious desserts.

Wouldn't it be great if they were both?

The class was at a wine bar, so it's miraculous that I stayed sober enough to learn anything. I think that was because I was also trying to stay sober enough to not buy the $40 glass of Cakebread that was calling my name. (Stop looking at me like that. Doesn't your wine talk to you?)

Anyhow, I thought my cake looked pretty good. I did a little freehand rose, a cute pink border, some polka dots around the outside. My leaves looked just about perfect. I was satisfied.

Until I went on this cake website and saw all these other people post the pictures from their cake-decorating classes.

Holy hell, I suck.

However, my boss, who decorates and sells cakes for fun saw mine in the breakroom (Like I could eat a whole cake by myself...), and he said it wasn't bad. He said I had the basic techniques down, so I just needed to get some tools and practice, because it's mostly just trial and error.

So, now my inner Martha Stewart is clawing to get out. I want to go spend a fortune on fancy tips and decorating books and dyes and make some cakes.

I am going to weigh 17,000 pounds.

I already have some guinea pigs. And I've got some ideas. So, we'll see what happens.

Maybe it will be beautiful and delicious. Wouldn't that be nice?


yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/h86hrcjj

2 comment(s):

You already have guinea pigs and ideas? I'm skerd of your cake! LOL

By Blogger Unknown, at 4/08/2011 12:38 AM  

hi, laura nice blog . you are amazing i am from colombia and READ THAT , fantastic hahaha . bye good luck !
if you want visit my blog http://www.miryamvelezcheu.blogspot.com/

By Blogger Miryam Velez Cheu., at 4/08/2011 1:22 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home