Does anybody read these?

Friday, April 01, 2011

Toxic waste

So today is the first day of April, and the first day for attempt #2 at National Blog Posting Month. This month's theme is "Sprout," and I'm feeling a journey of self-discovery coming on. After all, the very first writing prompt was:

"What are you ready to let go of?"

Wow, that is really a loaded question today. You see, I have a few people in my life who are toxic and it's time to phase them out.

The friend of a friend who calls Obama a Kenyan and makes other inflammatory and/or racist statements about the President? Nice knowing you. (OK, not really.)

The former roommate who has completely and totally taken advantage of me in too many ways to list here, but I kept offering friendship and compassion because I thought she was a nice person? Well, she acted in a way last night that made it quite obvious she is not a nice person, so it's time to cut her loose.

My friend back in Detroit who forwards me every crazy right-wing propaganda bullshit email in America? The one who votes for nuttos like Rick Snyder yet doesn't understand why she hasn't had a job since the auto industry tanked? The one who offends me to the marrow of my bones with her hatred of Latinos who are here both legally and illegally? Adios. (That's Spanish for "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.")

And there's one person I can't cut out completely, but her effect on me will be minimized as of right now. No more stinking thinking, no more listening to bullshit or temper tantrums. It's destructive; it's unproductive; it makes me feel bad. I don't need that in my life.

Last night, after the former roommate was a complete and total asshole to me, I had a thought. She is constantly giving out negative energy. She whines, she takes advantage, she bitches and moans, but she never does anything positive to counter all that negativity. Now, I don't believe in karma, but I do believe if you have no positive energy in your life for yourself and/or other people, you're going to get a lot less good out of life. The universe puts out what it takes in.

All our lives, we've heard toxic waste is bad. And it is. It's very harming to us emotionally, mentally and physically. Both in reality and metaphorically.

When you're a toxic person, you're wasting your life. You're wasting precious moments of your day that you can't ever get back. You're wasting them on comparing yourselves to others, gossipping, bitching, moaning, and just being unpleasant.

When life gets you down (whether it's real or perceived), work on how to get back up. Don't just lie on the ground and wallow in self-pity. That accomplishes nothing except wasting those precious moments. More toxic waste.

As we're talking about growth and renewal, I'm going to pull the weeds in my garden. I'm clearing out all the dead and clutter so that pretty flowers can bloom...and grow.

And, that's no April Fool's.

1 comment(s):

It's so calming to just LET GO of toxicity. I love this post.

By Blogger Christie, at 4/03/2011 9:58 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home