Does anybody read these?

Friday, June 15, 2012

The waiting game

The worst part about dating, I think, or maybe life in general, actually, is trusting others to do the right thing. Yep, that pretty much sums up life, especially when you tend to be on the control-freak side of life.


One of my favorite books, which I’m sure I’ve mentioned here at least one gazillion times is “He’s Just Not That Into You.” (Of course, I also sing the praises of its follow up, “It’s Called a Break Up Because it’s Broken,” as well. I may have used that line once or twice in my life. Maybe last week to The Chef, actually.)

Anyhow, we learn in “He’s Just Not That Into You,” that if a guy really likes you, he will contact you. And if he’s not that into you, but you contact him, he will go with it to not hurt your feelings. And, in my 36 years on earth, I’ve learned this is probably 99.9 percent accurate. In the days of smart phones and instant, global communication, there is no reason for a guy not to be in touch if he thinks you are the cat’s meow.

Which is why, today, I wait.

I had been talking to a relatively normal boy in the world of online dating (next week: I talk to a pink unicorn – even rarer than a normal boy!), and things seemed to be going well. He seemed to really be into me, and we’d planned to meet up this weekend. But as Friday turned into Saturday and “I can’t wait to see you” turned into “OK, cool, whatever,” I realized he’s either totally getting cold feet, someone walked by with a bright shiny object OR he’s decided he’s really not that into me after all.

Being me, and knowing that men really are pretty simple creatures, I have chosen the last option. And, luckily having read the two books that should be required reading for anyone with breasts and a vagina, I know that there is a very simple test to see if I am correct.

No texting. All day.

The true first commandment of dating should be: Ye shall not text until ye hath been texted to.

So I wait.

And, if I were a betting woman, I’m going to be guessing that I’ll still be waiting around 7 p.m. tomorrow night when my date was supposed to happen.

If a guy really likes you, he’ll realize he hasn’t heard from you and hunt you down. We don’t do ourselves any favors by not making men miss us and want us a little.

Needy is NEVER sexy, folks. Not in women or men. THAT should be the second commandment of dating.

But to actually be wanted and pursued? That’s a whole different story.

The waiting sucks. But I’d rather take a day here or there now than to end up with someone who doesn’t want to be there. Because that would really suck.

And honestly, being alone doesn’t completely suck. Contrary to what the needy people tell you.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home