Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Road and the Radio

Yesterday, I left Ohio for a trip back to Detroit to drop Gary off at home and take Lance to the airport. It was a quick trip and there were interesting little happenings here and there. The title for today's post was inspired by Kenny Chesney's new song "The Road and the Radio," not because I actually listened to that song (although I did hear a lot of Kenny today today today), but because this afternoon it was just me, the radio, miles of asphalt and a Pepsi One. I had a lot of time to take in the sights on those old, familiar highways and really catch up with myself and regroup. Nothing but me, the road and the radio, just like the song.

After the boys got to catch up with a few relatives they hadn't seen during their visit, we headed back to Michigan. Around Columbus, it started pouring down rain and was pitch-black and very hard to see and drive. We stopped to get gas and I got a coffee and a Coke Zero to keep going, but it was very tiring to drive in the poor road conditions. Gary slept the whole way and Lance dozed off a few times. Finally about two hours from Detroit, Lance asks me if I am awake enough to keep driving. I think I am as long as he can keep me company, but he's fading fast. We see a glowing red sign at the next exit that says 29.99. It wasn't the nicest hotel room I've ever seen, but it wasn't the worst either. It was just a local hotel and it had two beds with heat and a bathroom, so it was a nice place to spend 8 hours catching up on our sleep. We woke up first thing this morning and got back on the road.

We dropped Gary off at the apartment, and I picked up some dishes and stuff they aren't using anymore. Then Lance and I headed off to pick up some prescriptions at my doctor's office (he hooked me up since my new insurance does not feel the urge to pay for my prescriptions) and then downtown to go to our favorite Greek restaurant. Unfortunately, our friends in the City of Detroit must've woken up this week and realized the Super Bowl is in 9 weeks and the city is a disaster zone, because they are doing MASSIVE ammounts of work EVERYWHERE. Including in Greektown, where the one side of Monroe Street had no power, and my favorite restaurant New Hella's Cafe was on that side of the street. So finally we went to Olympia, which was pretty tasty, but a lot more expensive. The power came on right as we were leaving the restaurant. At that point, we were rushing to make sure Lance got to Metro in time for his flight, which, of course, ended up being delayed 90 minutes.

So, then I headed home and got back about an hour ago. Traffic was bad in Columbus, so I took the long way home, going on 37 through some of the cutest little towns that were all getting ready for Christmas. It took a little longer, but it was a nice drive. But all in all, it was a good trip even though the Shell station where I stopped had no Coke Zero. That's just craziness!!!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home