Does anybody read these?

Friday, December 30, 2005

New Christmas Carols...

I promised to try to find info on the new Christmas carols we sang this year, and I almost forgot about it. The first one, I guess I lied because it is not really new. It was a Polish carol written in 1908, and translated to English by Edith Reed in 1921. The 3rd and 4th verses were written by one of the top Catholic songwriters, Dan Schutte in 2002, which is apparently why it ended up in our hymnal. I found a link to the first and second verses and a midi file of the song, "Infant Holy, Infant Lowly." We sang this in two parts, with the choir singing the verses and a soloist singing a second part that was pretty much a Gloria, and it was beautiful.

The other song was also by Dan Schutte, called "A Light has Shown." Here are the words to the chorus:

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Let all the world rejoice!
Today upon the earth
A light has shown.
A child is born,
The promise of our God,
the Savior Christ the Lord.

I found a link to Dan Schutte's Christmas CD, and it's safe to say I will not be letting next Christmas pass me by without purchasing it. I'm going to post it here, in case you want to go listen to the mp3 sample of this song or any of his other music. He's great!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home