Does anybody read these?

Saturday, July 22, 2006

I should know better...

I've been following this whole stem-cell research issue, but I'm sure there's so much that none of us really know. It's controversial and there really isn't a right answer, is there?

So, apparently as a Catholic I'm supposed to be opposed to stem-cell research. The church has two issues: 1) The Church rarely likes when humans "play God" and 2) The Church believes that using embryos for stem-cell research is akin to abortion. Except that no one is "stealing" stem cells from happily pregnant women to play evil scientist. They are using fetuses that were already aborted (that kind of makes the best of an awful situation, doesn't it?) , fetuses from IVF that will never be implanted and they're using umbilical cord blood, which is rich in stem cells and doesn't involve "killing" a baby.

I want to take a second here to say that I am not for abortion. I wouldn't have an abortion. I believe that abortion is morally wrong. That is my personal belief. That being said, I am well-aware that not everyone believes like I do. And I've never been one for saying it's my way or the highway. For some people, abortion seems like their only option. Because of that, I believe that we need to keep that option safe and legal for those who feel like they have no other way out. And, of course, it'd be nifty if we could educate people before they got to the point where they had to consider abortion.

So, if people are going to keep having abortions, why not let some good come from it.

But regardless, you can use umbilical cords from any baby. I don't know a lot that a lot of people know that, so they don't think to donate them when they have a baby. And while those aren't the best stem cells, they can be used. But everyone in this country is so afraid of stem-cell research because people are using it for their own politcal agendas.

I got into the stem cell debate when I worked with paralyzed veterans. I have seen some of the research. One day they're going to use stem cells and fuse them into people's spinal cords, and those people are going to walk again. It's going to happen, assuming that the United States allows it. It's already happening in other countries where the government isn't against the research.

But the stem cell debate hit a lot closer to home than when I was working at PVA. I haven't ever mentioned my dad's eye disease before here.

My dad is legally blind. He has a disease called retinitis pigmentosa. The rest of my dad's eye is fine, but his retina is deteriorating. He started losing his peripheral vision several years ago and today he can only see what is right in front of his face. It's hard for him. It's frustrating for all of us, because I hate to see him struggle so much.

RP is genetic, and I've had a few doctors tell me that I probably have it, too. Other doctors say I don't. Because you can't fix it, I see no point in finding out that I have it at this point. For the most part I see OK. Yeah, sometimes I bump into people and my depth perception sometimes sucks, both warning signs. So yeah, it worries me. I've also had doctors tell me that I shouldn't have children because I carry the gene and my kids would probably have it. It's really scary.

And this is why this very Catholic woman supports stem-cell research no matter what.

They have been doing research on if stem cells can regenerate retinal cells. They have taken stem cells and injected them into the retinas of lab mice and they are slowing and curing this disease. That is amazing. That makes it a little less scary. If this country would get on the ball and not be so scared of stem cells, then maybe my dad could see a little bit better. Maybe I will never go blind. Maybe my kids will have a fair chance. Maybe I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not I should even have kids.

I think God gives scientists the knowledge they need to cure diseases. And I think that if we have that knowledge and don't do anything about it, then that's what's morally reprehensible.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home