Does anybody read these?

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Domestic goddess

So, this whole weekend I have been off from Toys R Us. Not great on my pocket-book, but I've really been making the most of my time at home.

First of all, my room has been relatively clean for over a week now. I cleaned it last weekend, and basically all I had to do was laundry today. Soon, I'll have to start packing since I'm moving in the middle of February.

Yep, I'm moving, and I am chock-full of mixed emotions about it. Carol and I have been getting along great lately, but we all know I've really been kinda-sorta looking since the rent went up last summer. Even though I know I'll never find another giant room right in town for $500/month, I just feel like I'm ready for a change of scenery. I think my new situation is going to be a nice change. If not, it'll be a learning experience.

I haven't told Carol yet. I'm going to do that this evening. I'm hoping that she'll take it OK and realize it's nothing personal. I'm just hoping to get ahead a little and paying less in rent should help me do that. Yeah, it's going to suck to have a smaller room and a longer commute, but there are other things that should be fine.

I never intended to live here forever, so really it shouldn't be a big deal. If Jamie hadn't gone back to Detroit, I'd probably already have moved by now. I always second-guess myself when I make big decisions, and I don't like to hurt my friends, so I guess I'm just hoping and praying that it'll all be OK.

So, back to the domestic goddess thing. Yesterday I made a grilled chicken breast and pasta. I find if you buy those sacks of fresh-frozen chicken breasts and throw some spices on and put them on the Foreman grill, that makes an easy dinner. Fifteen minutes later and I had a great meal.

Today, I made meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans. I took a few meatloaf recipes and combined them to make some fantastic meatloaf. Here is my recipe if anyone wants to try it.

1 1/2 pound ground beef
1 6 oz box of cornbread stuffing mix
handful of chopped onion (about 1/4 cup)
1 egg
splash of milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 T worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup barbecue sauce

Mix all of this together in a bowl. Put it into a loaf pan (or make a loaf in another baking dish), and top with extra barbecue sauce.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I'm not sure what's brought on this wave of domesticity, but I hope it sticks. I like having a room clean enough for folks to stop by (although no one does that now and no one will really do that when I move further out).

4 comment(s):

Where are you moving to? Are you going to be sharing with someone else or are you going to be living alone this time?

By Blogger rosalie, at 1/22/2008 3:17 PM  

To some condos over on Charlotte. Kinda West Nash, kinda Bellevue. And I'm kind of living alone, but sharing all at the same time. My new roommate is never home but doesn't want to sell her house.

By Blogger Laura, at 1/22/2008 3:52 PM  

Hopefully that will work out better for you.

By Blogger rosalie, at 1/22/2008 4:04 PM  

How'd your roommate take the news you were moving?

Good luck with your new digs.

By Blogger Daisy, at 1/31/2008 10:21 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home