Does anybody read these?

Friday, January 09, 2009

Endorphins?

Maybe it's the endorphins talking, but I am feeling better today.

Of course, my new strategy is to avoid the problem at hand. And, honestly, I think that's just fine.

I was given some information. I have processed that information and have decided that, at least for the time being, I am done with the information. Done. No more talking about it.

Besides, it is only a problem if I make it a problem, and I have no intentions of doing that. I'm going to just say "Thanks for telling me. I appreciate that," and be done.

We'll see if it works. I really hope it does.

I know I'm being vague. But honestly, it's not something I can talk about in any way, shape or form. It's not my place to talk about it. And besides, I am pretending I don't know, remember?

Today we found out that while none of our jobs are threatened, we won't be getting a pay increase anytime soon. In some ways, that is good news in the current economy. Things are going to be a little tight for me for a while, but I still have a good job that I like, so that makes it more palatable news.

But, this reminded me of last year when I got my raise. I had been so worried about my job, and instead of getting laid off, I got a raise. I was pretty damn excited.

I called one of my friends, and we were supposed to go to dinner to celebrate. I couldn't wait.

I drove to her house and sat in her parking area and called her to tell her I was there.

No answer.

I sent her a text, "Hey, I'm here. Let's go to dinner and celebrate."

I never heard anything that night.

I called Will that night, and I cried. I had this HUGE accomplishment that I wanted to celebrate, and I got stood up. And, even though it was neither the first time nor the last time, it was probably the most painful time.

That's when I realized that Will was someone who deserved to be in my life. And this person, someone whom I agonized about hurting her feelings because of my relationship with Will, probably didn't rank nearly as high as he did. She should've, because she was supposed to be my best friend.

But, your best friend doesn't hurt you like that. They are there when you need them, not just when they don't get a better offer. You have to be able to count on your best friend.

And sure, things with Will haven't been all roses and posies. Hell, I don't even know how to define "things with Will" these days. But he has been there for me more times than I can count in the last year.

If nothing else, Will, along with many other people in the past year, has taught me some very valuable lessons about relationships...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home