Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Preparation

As I have been mentioning lately, I have been giving thought to reinvigorating my blog. I've debated a new layout (nothing's struck my fancy yet). I've thought about coming up with a theme. I'm trying to figure out ways to attract new readers without having to blog about Justin Bieber and Lindsay Lohan. You know, the things writers think about when they start writing to entertain their audience rather than just using their blog for therapy, which is pretty much what mine has always been.

So maybe that's my theme: I write so I don't go nuts.

One of the things I'd planned to do was participate in National Blog Posting Month. The gist of NaBloPoMo, as it's called by all the people in the know, is that you pledge to write something everyday for one month. This helps you become more disciplined with your writing (although I would argue that I am disciplined in writing at work, but at home my blog is like the shoeless children of the cobbler or the mechanic's car that's up on blocks). But they give you a daily prompt if you get stuck, and it fosters the whole "If you build it, they (readers) will come" theory. So, we'll see if I get any more readers.

Every month, NaBloPoMo has a theme. The theme for December is "Zeitgest." Now, I speak zero German, so I wasn't really clear on what they were looking for here. The description on the Web site said: "You have 31 days to capture the mood of your culture and your life as they exist right now. Use words, photos, music...?"

This should be interesting. 31 days to capture my spirit, attitude or general outlook of a specific period in time...

At least it's the holidays. I am seeing a lot of posts on our wacky, quirky family traditions. Bear with me for the next 31 days. Maybe we'll both learn something.

2 comment(s):

Thank you soooo much for the head's up on NaBloPoMo. I am so excited. I am definitely considering (how's THAT for non-committal?) doing the whole DEcember zeitgeist thing. It sounds fascinating. I'm soo happy that I checked your blog. YAY!!!!

Thanks again. I will check your blog and we can really get a feel for what's going on in each other's lives. I adore this type of thing. Talk about joining in each other's reindeer games....

:)

By Blogger The Katzbox, at 11/30/2010 9:33 PM  

Quantity and quality are difficult to achieve simultaneously. I have to cook Christmas Dinner for 32, and it's not going to be my best work. I'm planning on getting everyone very drunk by 1pm, and then they might not notice that the food is crap and I forgot to get changed out of my pajamas.

Why don't you make a promise to comment on 5 blogs a day and always write words of great beauty or hilarity, on your own blog and others'. Methinks that might be better for your brain, and for your followers.

By Blogger Unknown, at 11/30/2010 10:46 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home