Does anybody read these?

Friday, September 30, 2005

Ain't that America?

A few days ago, I read a blog entry by Wil Wheaton on an appearance at a comic book convention by OJ Simpson. I was a little shocked by the whole premise of OJ making a public appearance on the 10th anniversary of his acquittal on murder charges. Wil called for a boycott of the convention. After reading Wil's blog, I figured everyone would get pissed off about this and OJ would be forced to reconsider. So, imagine my surprise when I logged onto Yahoo and saw this news headline: Comics show plans rare O.J. Simpson appearance. Apparently he arrives this evening. I just hope that a lot of the folks in L.A. take Wil's advice and sit this one out. I know everyone is innocent until proven guilty, even OJ unfortunately. I just don't think that the promoters should be using him to draw so much attention to their event. I am just hoping he's not that much of a draw. It says a lot about society if he is.

As a journalist (when will I stop chuckling every time I say that? Some people are a hoot!), I just want to take a second to applaud New York Times reporter Judith Miller. In this day and age, I wonder how many journalists would spend 85 days in jail to preserve their professional integrity. I wonder how many ever had that much integrity to begin with. As the face of journalism changes rapidly, there are fewer reporters who value professional ethics. So, thank you, Judy, for being a role model for every journalist in America. You've set the bar for all of us.

Bill Bennett is at it again. This time he's said that we could reduce crime if all black people had abortions. He quickly said that it was a ludicrous proposition but the fact that the thought even crossed his mind frightens the hell out of me. I'm absolutely amazed that he not only has a radio show, but that people listen. And he's got a new book out. Let me rush to Barnes & Noble RIGHT NOW! Congressman John Conyers has written to Bennett's syndicator and called for his suspension. Bet ya that gets nowhere. (Had to get a betting reference in there!) I'm just going to sit here and wonder, yet again, how there are black Republicans.

I still haven't gotten around to reading Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed, and now she has a new book, Bait and Switch. I guess these are next after I finish the latest Harry Potter book.

The song of the day is "Rocky Top." The Vols play Ole Miss tomorrow, and after the first three games, they need all the help they can get. Go Big Orange!!!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home