Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Adventures in Toyland

I rarely blog about work, especially since I demoted myself and kicked that asshole Special Events John to the curb. I don't even think I told y'all about the time that guy accused me of hating Mexicans because I wouldn't take back his opened Playstation game. Yeah, I'm racist.

Basically, new Toyland is pretty stress free, and there are so few customers that no one has really amused me yet.

No stress. No asshole coworkers. No crazy customers.

At least not until Saturday.

I was standing there talking to one of my co-workers, because that's what you do in low-volume toy stores that actually staff Saturdays like they're supposed to. So much better than working my ass off at the service desk because there are only three people closing on a $30,000 day, right?

Anyhow, this guy comes up to me and my co-worker and asks us if we have Rubik's Cubes. Of course, we do. So, following Land of Misfit Toys policy, I take him to the item rather than point him in its general direction. I make small talk as we wander down the game aisle and stop in front of the Rubik's Cubes. I take one off the shelf, hand it to him and say, "Here you go."

The guy thanks me and I start to walk away.

And that's when it happened.

He looked at the shelf and in a distinctly-not-indoor voice he shouts, "Oh my god, it's $10!!!! I didn't think it would be $10!!!!!"

He put it back on the shelf and walked out without purchasing anything.

I'm sure he probably spent $10 worth of gas for his little excursion. Maybe that was it: two gallons of gas OR a Rubik's Cube.

I looked online, and $10 is actually kind of cheap for a Rubik's Cube. I know the last one I bought, which I'm sure was in the 80s, cost about 8 bucks, so I wasn't nearly as shocked as he was.

But the minute he left the store, we all burst out laughing. It wasn't worth getting that worked up.

1 comment(s):

Maybe he thought because they were so old they would be cheaper.

By Blogger rosalie, at 6/17/2008 7:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home