Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brown liquor

Yesterday afternoon, I got a text that said: "Can you stop and pick up my friend Jack on your way home from work?"

(This is where we pause and you all say: How the hell did Laura find herself a boyfriend who loves Jack Daniels, Merle Haggard and the beach as much -- if not more -- as she does?)

Anyhow, we went to Wendell's and cashed my check to buy a bottle of Jack Black (classy, I know...). And then we went home, and he drank almost an entire bottle of whiskey, just trying to drown out the memories of these ghosts that haunt him. I know he had a shitty day, but I don't really want to watch him self-destruct.

He got so sick, and I was scared. And all I wanted to do was sleep, and he was in my bathroom throwing up. I left him on the couch this morning looking worse for wear. I hope he's feeling better soon enough.

How a woman who walked out years ago can reduce a strong man to a shaking, crying mess who drinks an entire fifth of whiskey to quiet the demons is beyond me. It just made me sad to see it. I hate seeing him so vulnerable like that.

Just more of the fall-out from a colossally screwed up relationship...

Oh, and funny sidebar: After begging him to stop drinking, I finally won the bottle back by answering a trivia question. "Who's the proprietor of Jack Daniels?"

My reply: Lem Motlow, of course.

He acted shocked that I knew. Seriously, I know Jack.

Song of the day: "Tennessee Whiskey" by David Allan Coe.

1 comment(s):

I laughed out loud at the "I know Jack" comment!

By Blogger Char by the Sea, at 1/27/2009 11:57 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home